Odaiko New England introduces students to the Japanese drum, or Taiko.
Through storytelling and drumming, this energetic and engaging program teaches students about how this very special instrument is woven into many aspects of Japanese history and culture. Students also learn some elements of playing taiko. Japanese vocabulary such as “Kiai”(vocalization of energy), “Kata” (form and technique) and “Kumi-Daiko” (ensemble drumming) are explained and demonstrated. For in-person performances, students will participate in putting these elements into practice as they join the performers on stage to experience the thrill and power of taiko drumming.
Remote Learning Adaptation: pre recorded video program available for flexible viewing online. Outdoor performances also available.
Audience Limit: 300
Curriculum Connection: Japanese Culture, Music, Percussion
Video: Remote Arts Learning Showcase (Odaiko begins at 1:56)
Video: Odaiko New England Promo Video
Single Performance: $800
Additional Performances: $640
Travel: $100 per day
Video Program (one week access+ one virtual artist visit): $600
Additional Artist Visit (30 min): $150
Pricing may vary for weekends/out-of-school time
Processing Fee of $30 added to all contracts
Remote (pre recorded)
School has access to the video for one week unless otherwise stated in contract. Do not distribute video link outside of the agreed upon parties. Please introduce the artists as an Arts for Learning Massachusetts ensemble.
- 2 reserved parking spaces
- Working sound system and microphone on stand
- 1 music stand
- 1 table (ideally 3-4 ft long)
- Access to restrooms and private dressing area (for example, a teacher’s bathroom)
- Bottled Water for two people
- Minimum stage area of 16’ deep by 20’ wide with 12’ overhead clearance
- Performance area must be level, cleared, cleaned
- Performance area may not have a surface of concrete, asphalt or cement
- Children sitting on the floor must be at least 10 feet away from the front of the stage
Arrival time before first performance: 1 hour
Strike time: 30 minutes
Time needed between performances: 10 minutes.
Teachers are expected to model appropriate audience behavior for their students. Please introduce the artists as an Arts for Learning Massachusetts ensemble.