Traditions of Chinese Acrobatics
Witness astounding feats of hand balancing, plate spinning, artistic cycling, foot juggling, ribbon dancing, manipulation of Chinese yo-yos and other traditional Chinese acrobatics. Students will get a glimpse of Chinese culture and learn phrases in Li Liu’s native Mandarin. In this interactive performance, several volunteers will be selected to attempt a few of the easier (and safer!) of the Chinese acrobatics on display. Students will learn the historical significance of traditional lion and dragon dances, as Li encourages them to think about what it might have been like to grow up in a different time and place, and what can be accomplished through disciplined training.
Program available in person, or live online.
Audience Limit: 300
Curriculum Connection: Chinese Acrobatics and Traditional Dance, Culture and History, Mandarin Language
Video: Remote Arts Learning Showcase (Li Liu begins at 1:50)
Video: Li Liu Chinese Acrobatics School Performance Excerpt
Video: Li Liu Promotional (general)
Single Performance: $1,180
Additional Performances: $944
Travel: $150 per day
Pricing may vary for weekends/out-of-school time
Processing Fee of $30 added to all contracts
Remote (live online)
School sets up link for remote meeting and makes the artist a co-host. Screen share must be enabled. Artist may need to sign on 20-30 minutes prior to the meeting to check sound levels. A representative from the school must be on the call to facilitate Q+A and mute students as needed. Please introduce the performer as an Arts for Learning Massachusetts artist.
- One reserved parking space as close as possible to the performance area.
Performance Space Requirements:
- Performance should take place in a gymnasium, auditorium or cafeteria if possible.
- Li Liu will need a minimum space of 25’ X 25’.
- Floor should be as clean as possible (dry mopped).
- Students should be seated on the floor and teachers should be seated in chairs on both sides. A center aisle is not needed. Please have 5 or 6 plastic cones available to designate where the front row will be.
- All lights in the performance space should be at 100%.
Arrival time before first performance: 75 minutes
Strike time: 20 Minutes
Time needed between performances: 10 Minutes
Please introduce the performer as an Arts for Learning Massachusetts artist.